Health & Safety

Snickers Solid Gear Lagoon safety shoe – first look

Solid Gear Lagoon

In this video Skill Builder Editor Georgina Bisby takes a first look at the Solid Gear Lagoon female safety footwear offering from Snickers. This is Snickers first safety shoe for women and prioritises comfort as well as safety. “I was really impressed with how light the shoe was as well as the flexible sole. I will provide an update once …

Read More »

Surveyor fined after failing to detect asbestos

asbestos removal

A specialist asbestos company has been fined after failing to detect asbestos at a demolition site. Greater Manchester Magistrates’ Court heard how EAS Asbestos Limited were commissioned to conduct refurbishment and demolition surveys by Mercer Brother Limited, a construction company who were contracted to demolish garages for Hyndburn Homes. EAS Asbestos stated in their surveys that asbestos was only present …

Read More »

Building contractor jailed after house collapse in Brighton

house collapse

A building contractor has been sentenced following an incident in February 2015 in which a house in Brighton partially collapsed. Hove Crown Court heard how builder Glen Peters (trading as Brow Builders) undermined the structural integrity of the house by digging out the basement. He then failed to act on the advice of a structural engineer on how to remedy …

Read More »

Builders Merchant worker loses finger when glove gets entangled in table saw

house collapse

Llanharan Concrete Co. Limited has been fined after a worker was injured when his glove got entangled with the moving blade of a table saw. Cardiff Magistrates’ Court heard how the employee of the company was cutting wood with a table saw when his glove got entangled, pulling his finger into contact with it. The injured worker was rushed to …

Read More »

5 Warning signs of asbestos poisoning

asbestos poisoning

OSCHR, the Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register, has compiled a list of five signs to watch out for that may indicate that you’re suffering from an asbestos related disease. Asbestos was officially banned in the UK in 1999, but it still remains a serious risk to our health. As a building material used for insulation, flooring and roofing, asbestos …

Read More »

Protect our children and teachers from asbestos exposure at school

asbestos

Lucie Stephens, the daughter of a teacher who died of cancer linked to asbestos exposure, is campaigning for schools to be obliged to warn staff and pupils of its presence. Please sign and share the campaign as we think it’s one that deserves our support.  Here’s Lucie’s story: “Parents have been kept in the dark about asbestos risks for too …

Read More »

Company fined after falling scaffold clip hits pedestrian

scaffold clip

A scaffolding company was sentenced today for safety breaches after a scaffold clip fell approximately 20m (60 ft.) and hit a member of the public walking below. Westminster Magistrates Court heard that, on 20 March 2017, the injured person was walking along Upper Street in Islington, London when he was hit on the head by the clip. He sustained numerous …

Read More »

CHAS & NFB partner to promote health & safety standards

CHAS & NFB

The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) and The National Federation of Builders (NFB) have announced a new partnership to raise health and safety standards in the UK and make the world of work safer. The NFB represents small to medium-sized builders, regional contractors and house builders across England and Wales. As one of the UK’s longest standing trade bodies, …

Read More »

Worker killed falling through skylight

house collapse

A company has been fined after an employee died following a fall through a skylight. Leicester Crown Court heard how the deceased was working with another employee on the roof, re-siting a heater and new chimney flue, when the incident occurred. He suffered severe injuries and died from these injuries approximately 6 months later. An investigation by the Health and …

Read More »

Housing Association fined after exposing workers to Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS)

house collapse

HSE is reminding companies of the necessity of monitoring workers’ health after a South Wales Housing Association was fined for exposing workers to Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS). Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how Charter Housing Association Ltd. reported six cases of HAVS following a health surveillance programme launched in June 2015. The affected employees were all part of the maintenance …

Read More »