Health & Safety

Contractor fined after worker fatally crushed

worker set on fire

CMF Ltd has been fined after 31-year-old sub-contractor Richard Laco died when working on large construction project in London. Southwark Crown Court heard that Richard had been contracted by CMF to work on the Frances Crick Institute project. He was fatally crushed on 6 November 2013 by a concrete staircase that was in the process of being installed. An investigation …

Read More »

Roofing contractors sentenced over unsafe roof work

MKM Fabrications Ltd

Two roofing contractors have been sentenced after putting their workers at risk of harm during roof replacement works in Oldham. MKM Fabrications Ltd had been employed as the principal contractor to carry out a roof replacement on one of the buildings at Valley Mills, Millgate, Delph, Oldham which is currently used for textile production. The company subcontracted part of the …

Read More »

Bringing comfort to construction

Aimont range

Having recently teamed up with safety shoe manufacturer Aimont, Supertouch – the PPE and workwear solutions specialist – is now providing its customers in the construction and building industry with an extensive range of boots and shoes. The Aimont range features Light Plus toe cap technology. Being polymer based, this toecap is extremely lightweight, without compromising on protective strength, matching …

Read More »

Worker paralysed by falling pipe

worker set on fire

An Essex company who are specialists in gas infrastructure have been fined after an employee suffered serious injury when a pipe fell into the trench he was working in and struck him. Maidstone Crown Court heard how an employee of Forefront Utilities Limited had entered a trench in Rochester, Kent to connect gas pipes. The new pipes were rested on …

Read More »

Electrician fined after apprentice left with life changing injuries

worker set on fire

A Birmingham electrician has been ordered to carry out unpaid work in the community after his trainee fell three and a half metres through a plasterboard ceiling. Birmingham Magistrates’ Court heard that the apprentice electrician, Soheil Afrapour, spent 23 days in hospital after suffering head injuries. He was installing wiring above the false ceiling for Mr Soheil Alipour. A Health …

Read More »

Two construction companies fined after worker suffers severe electric shock

worker set on fire

BAM Construction Limited and Shoreland Projects Limited have been fined after a man suffered multiple life changing injuries including severe burns to his neck. Winchester Crown Court heard how BAM Construction had been appointed by Network Rail to construct a new railway operating centre in Basingstoke. BAM later appointed Shoreland Projects Ltd as the groundworks contractor for this project. On …

Read More »

Fine for two companies following asbestos investigation in Surrey

worker set on fire

Two companies have been fined after unsafe asbestos work was carried out on a property in Leatherhead, Surrey. Staines Magistrates’ Court heard how Kingsley Asbestos Services Limited (KAS), although a licensed asbestos removal contractor, was sub contracted by Bourne Valley Construction Services Limited (BVCS) to carry out the work. KAS removed some asbestos containing materials and agreed to carry out …

Read More »

Scott Safety launches AVIVA half mask

Wearer comfort is a key feature of the latest half mask from Scott Safety, the designer and manufacturer of respirators and personal protective equipment.  The AVIVA half mask, which is silicone-free but designed with silicone-like comfort, offers a reflex seal which allows the wearer added movement and flexibility, and a positive fit check button is built into the device which is …

Read More »

Worker loses fingers in unsafe mixer

worker set on fire

Coldmac Limited has been fined after one of its workers suffered life changing injuries to his hand which required surgical intervention. Nuneaton Magistrates Court heard how Coldmac Limited had been appointed specialist contractors for a new footway. On 8 April 2015 the worker was using a screwdriver to scrape asphalt residue off the mixer they had been using when the …

Read More »

Contractor fined following complaints from public

worker set on fire

A London based construction company has been fined for safety failings after complaints from the public. Basildon Magistrates’ Court heard how Malik Contractors and Engineers Ltd were working at a site St John’s Way in Corringham, Essex in 2016 when concerned members of the public contacted the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Malik Contractors and Engineers Ltd are the principal …

Read More »