house collapse

Worker killed falling through skylight

A company has been fined after an employee died following a fall through a skylight.

Leicester Crown Court heard how the deceased was working with another employee on the roof, re-siting a heater and new chimney flue, when the incident occurred. He suffered severe injuries and died from these injuries approximately 6 months later.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which occurred on 31 October 2014, found that the work at height on a fragile roof was not appropriately planned, supervised or carried out in a safe manner.

IKO-Design Ltd of Parker Drive, Leicester pleaded guilty of breaching Regulation 4 and Regulation 9(2) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and have been fined £100,000 and ordered to pay costs of £35,000.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Michelle Morrison said: “A well planned job would have identified the risks from working on a fragile roof, so that steps could have been taken to prevent the risk of anyone falling from height. This tragic incident was entirely avoidable if appropriate controls had been put in place.

“Proper precautions should be taken when working on roofs and near fragile skylights, even for short duration work. Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

www.hse.gov.uk

About Georgina Bisby

Georgina Bisby
Georgina Bisby is a journalist and editor with extensive experience covering construction and industrial news and technology, including a particular focus on health and safety, energy and environmental issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *