Scaffold Inspectors

Newquay gas fitter sentenced for unregistered gaswork

An unregistered gas fitter has been ordered to complete 250 hours of community service for illegally installing a LPG gas boiler and hob at a Newquay home as well as producing fraudulent documentation.

Dean Marshall, aged 47, of Dukes Way, Newquay, installed the gas boiler and gas hob at a property on Chynowen Lane, Newquay several years after his registration with Gas Safe Register had lapsed, meaning he wasn’t permitted to carry out gas work. His previous registration with Gas Safe Register did not cover any work on any LPG gas appliances as he had never completed the proper training for this work. Despite this he continued to use the Gas Safe Register logo on paperwork he issued.

Truro Crown Court heard on the 15th September that Mr Marshall’s illegal gaswork came to light when the homeowner, who had been repeatedly asking for the commission documentation for the new boiler, noticed that Dean Marshall had used another name and registration number on the commissioning certificate.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Dean Marshall had fraudulently used a Gas Safe registered engineers details to deceive the homeowners.

Mr Marshall pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3), 3(7), and 33(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was sentenced to undertake 250 hours unpaid work for each offence to run concurrently and ordered to pay £4,966.42 in costs.

HSE Inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said:

“Only engineers registered with Gas Safe can legally carry out gas work.

“Mr Marshall undertook gaswork which he knew he shouldn’t do. He compounded his illegal work by fraudulently using firstly the Gas Safe Register logo on his paperwork and then the details of a properly registered gas engineer on a commissioning certificate that he issued in a clear attempt to deceive the homeowners.

“If gas appliances, such as ovens, cookers and boilers, are not properly installed there is a risk of fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Further information on domestic gas safety issues can be found on the HSE website at www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/

About Georgina Bisby

Georgina Bisby
Georgina Bisby is a journalist and editor with extensive experience covering construction and industrial news and technology, including a particular focus on health and safety, energy and environmental issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *