A roofing company based in Exeter has been fined after an employee fell through a roof light.
North and East Devon Magistrates’ Court heard how an employee of Haran Limited fell approximately three metres to the ground below. He suffered injuries to his head, wrist and hip.
He and two colleagues had been working on an asbestos cement roof in order to undertake the re-roof of an adjoining industrial unit , formerly an agricultural unit that was being used as a gym.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which occurred on 18 November 2014 found that the work had not been properly planned or adequately supervised.
Haran Limited, of Clyst Road, Exeter, Devon, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005, and was fined £18,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,070.
For further information work at height visit: www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/fragile.htm