Construction boss jailed

Birmingham Builder Fined for Unsafe Gas Work

A builder has been fined after carrying out unsafe gas work at a property in Hall Green.

Birmingham Magistrates’ Court heard how on 23 October 2016 Mark Titmus, trading as Titmus Builders, was contracted to build an extension to three sides of a property.

During the work a gas boiler was moved and fitted with a temporary flue. The gas boiler was not functioning properly and on New Year’s Day the family contacted British Gas Homeserve.

A British Gas Engineer identified that the position of the boiler’s flue posed an immediate danger to the residents and isolated the gas supply to the property.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Mark Titmus failed in his duty to ensure that the gas flue installation and building work did not create a risk to health and safety.

Mark Titmus of Station Road, Harborne, Birmingham pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 8 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and has been sentenced 20 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 18 months. He was also ordered to pay £500 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing HSE Inspector John Glynn said: “Any one in charge of a construction project, including sole traders, has a responsibility to ensure that they do not do anything that could affect the safe operation of any gas appliance.

Correct operation of gas flues is vital to ensuring safety because you cannot see, taste it or smell carbon monoxide but it can kill quickly without warning.”

About Roger Bisby

Roger Bisby is an English television presenter and journalist, known for his expertise in the British building industry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *