Test for Mould
Photo by Matilda Wormwood from Pexels

How to Test for Mould in Your Home

61% of UK renters report to have suffered leaking roofs, dampness and mould. Mould is a common problem in many homes. The difficult part about mould is that it can grow without being noticed for months or years, making it hard to identify the source of the problem.

Mould can cause a huge range of health problems, from skin irritation to asthma and allergic reactions. If you have any suspicion that there may be mould in your home, this article will provide seven expert tips on testing for and removing mould from your home.

Check for Damp Patches or Discoloration on Walls or Ceilings

Checking for damp patches or discolouration on walls and ceilings is the first step to identifying whether there may be a mould problem in your home. Any areas that are water damaged, even if they have been dried up, should be tested further. Damp spots can easily lead to black mould growth, which you want to avoid at all costs.

Damp spots or discolouration can be hard to spot, which is why you should try using black light. With the help of this simple device, any areas that are water damaged will glow in the dark and reveal themselves easily for further inspection. Once you notice any mould, you should enlist the help of a professional to get rid of the mould. If left, they can lead to serious health problems.

Check for Musty Smells

Another indicator that there may be a problem with mould in your home is the presence of musty smells. This smell can be difficult to describe, but you will know it if you encounter it. If an area has had water damage or exposure to high humidity for extended periods, this could result in mould growth behind walls and ceilings.

This is why further inspection into these areas may be required to ensure that the problem has been solved and eliminated from your home.

You can do some simple tests yourself at home to determine whether there might be a mould issue on your property, such as placing a bowl of vinegar on a shelf for 24 hours before checking it for any mould growth.

If there is mould, it will have a potent vinegar smell which can be an indicator that there might be a problem with mould in the home.

Check for Plumbing Leaks

A common problem that can lead to mould in your property is plumbing leaks. These problems are difficult to find and may not be spotted until the damage has been done, making them a potential cause of mould growth.

Plumbing leaks can quickly become a major expense if left unchecked for too long because they will only worsen with time.

There are many ways that you can test your home for mould. If there is any suspicion, even the slightest feeling of dampness or musty smells coming from a room, it’s important to investigate this as soon as possible.

The longer you leave the problem before attempting to find and kill off those black spots on your walls or ceilings, the more serious health problems may start to develop.

About Dylan Garton

Dylan Garton is a cofounder of Skill Builder and freelance video producer, camera operator and video editor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *