Health & Safety

5 Warning signs of asbestos poisoning

asbestos poisoning

OSCHR, the Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register, has compiled a list of five signs to watch out for that may indicate that you’re suffering from an asbestos related disease. Asbestos was officially banned in the UK in 1999, but it still remains a serious risk to our health. As a building material used for insulation, flooring and roofing, asbestos …

Read More »

Protect our children and teachers from asbestos exposure at school

asbestos

Lucie Stephens, the daughter of a teacher who died of cancer linked to asbestos exposure, is campaigning for schools to be obliged to warn staff and pupils of its presence. Please sign and share the campaign as we think it’s one that deserves our support.  Here’s Lucie’s story: “Parents have been kept in the dark about asbestos risks for too …

Read More »

Company fined after falling scaffold clip hits pedestrian

scaffold clip

A scaffolding company was sentenced today for safety breaches after a scaffold clip fell approximately 20m (60 ft.) and hit a member of the public walking below. Westminster Magistrates Court heard that, on 20 March 2017, the injured person was walking along Upper Street in Islington, London when he was hit on the head by the clip. He sustained numerous …

Read More »

CHAS & NFB partner to promote health & safety standards

CHAS & NFB

The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) and The National Federation of Builders (NFB) have announced a new partnership to raise health and safety standards in the UK and make the world of work safer. The NFB represents small to medium-sized builders, regional contractors and house builders across England and Wales. As one of the UK’s longest standing trade bodies, …

Read More »

Worker killed falling through skylight

Construction boss jailed

A company has been fined after an employee died following a fall through a skylight. Leicester Crown Court heard how the deceased was working with another employee on the roof, re-siting a heater and new chimney flue, when the incident occurred. He suffered severe injuries and died from these injuries approximately 6 months later. An investigation by the Health and …

Read More »

Housing Association fined after exposing workers to Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS)

Construction boss jailed

HSE is reminding companies of the necessity of monitoring workers’ health after a South Wales Housing Association was fined for exposing workers to Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS). Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how Charter Housing Association Ltd. reported six cases of HAVS following a health surveillance programme launched in June 2015. The affected employees were all part of the maintenance …

Read More »

Lightweight beanie fits under hard hats for warmth and safety

Lightweight beanie

As the chilly weather sets in JSP has launched a new thermal helmet beanie called the Surefit Beanie which is fully approved to be worn with all the JSP Evo range of Safety Helmets. Compatibility is key when combining PPE and this new Beanie will prevent workers from wearing incompatible and dangerous alternatives such as hoodies under their helmets. Designed …

Read More »

Challenging perceptions of fall protection: The V-SHOCK Self-Retracting Lifeline

V-SHOCK

It’s not uncommon to see construction workers working at height without fall protection, particularly on small sites, where workers worry complex, cumbersome equipment will slow them down. MSA Safety is challenging this perception of fall protection with its new V-SHOCK, a self-retracting lifeline for building contractors designed with simplicity and robustness in mind.  Karl Jones, Global Industrial Design Leader at MSA …

Read More »

Excavation company fined after worker set on fire

Construction boss jailed

A company undertaking excavation work has been fined for safety breaches, when a worker was burned after striking underground electrical cables. Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court heard that in February 2016 an employee was excavating the ground at a site on Spare Lease Hill in Loughton, Essex. He struck an electrical cable and was set on fire. He received significant burns to his …

Read More »

Company fined after exposing electricians to asbestos

Construction boss jailed

A Paisley based utility services company has been fined for exposing four of its employees to asbestos during work at Anderson Tower in Motherwell in 2014. Hamilton Sheriff Court heard that four electricians employed by IQA Operations Group Ltd had been drilling through door transom panels to fit electric cables into each property within the tower block as part of …

Read More »